Walnut Ridge Cemetery, Inc. has a long history in southern Indiana. The original partition of the cemetery was designed by Edmund Lee, who was also responsible for the design of Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky.
Originally laid out over 15 acres of rolling hills with tree-lined lanes, the cemetery began with 1,320 lots on land donated by the Wathen Family estate. Today, the cemetery encompasses nearly 100 acres with approximately 30,000 burial sites, a mausoleum building and a cremation crypt.
Situated on a ridge featuring a mix of mature trees and new flowering trees, Walnut Ridge Cemetery offers a panoramic view of the downtown Louisville skyline. The oldest monument that has been found in Walnut Ridge dates back to 1817; however, there are many monuments that are older and more weathered.
Other interesting facts about the cemetery include the “Preacher’s Circle”, which was formed in 1845 at the request of the Church. Approximately 15 lots were dedicated for free burial of ordained ministers and their wives.
A "Receiving Tomb" was also built to accommodate remains for up to ten days for respite from inclement weather or to allow for family and friends time to arrive from out of town.